Scholarship and Bursaries
Langley Community Music School believes that a high quality music education should be accessible
Through donations received from many individuals, community organizations and businesses who understand the value of a music education, we offer a scholarship and bursary program that supports our charitable mission by:
- Rewarding excellence of achievement
- Supporting students in financial need
- Expanding the reach of our educational programs
Every year we award in excess of $20,000 to school-age students of all levels through this program.
Scholarships reward our students for excellence of achievement in their musical studies. Scholarship winners may also apply for financial assistance, if qualified.
Music Festival Scholarships
The majority of our scholarships are awarded during the school’s annual music festivals:
- Scholarship & Awards Festival
- Chamber Music Festival
- Concerto Competition
- Young Composers Competition
Impartial adjudicators determine recipients of the scholarships based on their performance at the festival. All scholarships are applied to the student’s LCMS tuition fees unless otherwise designated by the donor. Over $12,000 in combined scholarships is awarded to more than 100 deserving students annually.
Music Festival Scholarship winners
Sharon Stevenson Career Development Scholarship
Up to $10,000 is awarded annually to one or more LCMS students who:
- Have demonstrated outstanding musical ability
- Intend to pursue a career as a professional musician
- Are planning to attend an accredited post-secondary institution to study music performance
Application Deadline: February 1
Sharon Stevenson Scholarship Awards Winners
- 2016 Sarah Yang (violin), Liam MacIntosh (cello)
- 2015 David Ko (piano/composition), Sarah Yang (violin), Yu An Cheng (cello)
- 2014 Paul Williamson (piano/cello), Stephen Duncan (voice/piano)
- 2013 Ben Su (piano), Kitty Chan (cello), Alice Cho (cello)
- 2012 Hannah Williamson (violin), Victor Hsu (voice), Judith Souman (viola), Kitty Chan (cello)
- 2011 Roland Gjernes (cello), Sunny Chan (violin)
Vancouver Orpheus Male Choir Scholarship
The Vancouver Orpheus Male Choir generously sponsors a scholarship for a young male vocalist in grades 8-12 in the Langley School District, who sings in a school or community choir. The recipient will receive voice lessons at Langley Community Music School with Liana Savard.
Students who can demonstrate financial need may apply for a bursary. The amount of financial assistance available to a student depends on individual circumstances, as well as the number of applications we receive in a given year. Application forms are available from the LCMS office.
Bursary applications are accepted during pre-registration and until September 15 of the school year. Completed forms are forwarded to the Scholarship and Bursary Committee for review.
Application Deadline: September 15
Emergency requests for bursaries may be considered during the year in cases of significant change in a student’s financial position, and for new students registering during the year.