LCMS is always interested in receiving applications from qualified, experienced teachers. We are especially interested in receiving applications from qualified piano teachers, including from Suzuki trained teachers. Please email your resume to Carolyn Granholm at email@example.com
Children’s Choir Conductor
Langley Community Music School (LCMS) is a centre of excellence in music education. A non-profit charitable organization founded in 1969, the school is recognized for its comprehensive and innovative programming for students of all ages and levels. The organization is also a presenter of concerts to the community, with two concert series featuring local, national and international artists, and a 250-seat recital hall.
LCMS is seeking a Conductor for our Children’s Choir for the 2023/24 academic year. The Children’s Choir is a free, non-auditioned program for students in grades 2 to 8. The ensemble introduces children to the art of choral group singing, and performs at LCMS’ December and May concerts, with occasional events in the community. During the school term, it meets weekly on Fridays in the school’s Rose Gellert Hall, with rehearsals at 3:45pm (Junior) and 4:45pm (Senior). Rehearsals are typically 45 min. The choir rehearses with an accompanist.
- Lead the choir at rehearsals, encouraging the development of choral skills within a nurturing, supportive and inclusive environment
- Lead the choir in December and May school performances, and occasional events in the community
- Plan inspiring repertoire, suitable for children of a variety of vocal/musical levels and note-reading abilities; this will be the first choral and/or musical experience for some participants
- Communicate effectively with choir participants/parents regarding rehearsals and performance schedules and expectations
Attributes and Qualifications:
- Believe that everyone can sing, and that music should be accessible to everyone in our community
- Experience leading a choir and teaching children in an ensemble and/or group setting, with the ability to demonstrate vocal parts
- Bachelors degree in music/music education and/or equivalent qualifications and experience, and knowledge of a variety of musical styles and genres
- Experience singing in a variety of languages an asset
This is a self-employed contract position with duties performed September to May. A criminal record check is required.
Interested applicants should apply with cover letter and resume to Principal Carolyn Granholm at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.