Position of Music Director – Langley Community Music School
Langley Community Music School (LCMS), a not-for-profit organization and registered charity situated in Langley City Park, Langley, B.C., is a center for excellence in music education. It offers students of all ages the opportunity to study with highly qualified faculty and to develop a life-long appreciation of music. It enhances cultural development and fosters an environment where personal growth and cooperation are nurtured. As a presenter of two professional concerts series each season, LCMS has developed as a major performance center for the community and responds to an audience with diverse musical preferences. LCMS has a strong commitment to the creation and presentation of Canadian compositions.
LCMS currently serves approximately 900 students of all ages and abilities through a wide variety of educational programs. It offers instruction in classical, jazz and contemporary styles. The private music lessons are supported by a wide range of enrichment classes that ensure a complete musical education for those students wanting a professional career in music or for those wanting to develop their knowledge of music for life-long enjoyment. More information about our programs and faculty can be found on the website at www.langleymusic.com.
The Music Director of the Langley Community Music School, reporting to the Principal, has the responsibility to manage the educational mandate of LCMS and to ensure the artistic integrity of all educational programs. The Music Director will be a leader in nurturing and maintaining a productive environment for teaching and learning at LCMS, building strong connections in the wider community, and ensuring that an effective artistic organizational structure is in place to support the work and the growth of the organization.
The successful candidate will:
- hold an advanced degree in a music related discipline from an accredited establishment
- be a respected musician who is well connected with the music fraternity
- demonstrate a personal commitment to music education for people of all ages as reflected in the School’s mission and purpose
- be a strong communicator able to inspire and interact with musicians of all levels
- demonstrate administrative ability and financial success in managing complex and diverse programs and people within an educational setting
- possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- enjoy working with diverse populations of students, faculty, visiting artists, school staff and volunteers to achieve the goals of LCMS
The Music Director will be a team player with highly developed interpersonal skills, practicing and inspiring professionalism and collegiality. In addition to this administrative role, it is expected that the Music Director will also teach and be a member of the LCMS faculty.
Applications, including up-to-date curriculum vitae and references, should be submitted in strict confidence by August 25, 2017, to:
Susan Magnusson, Principal
For more detailed information about this position, please contact the Principal.
The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
LCMS is always interested in receiving resumes from qualified applicants in all musical disciplines. Please email your resume to Susan Magnusson at firstname.lastname@example.org